The first question strangers to the area would ask would be: “Where is Serpentine Road East?”
Many locals call this area “The Hill” as it’s high up in town, on the border of Mount Clarence and Albany, near Wagon Rock Lookout on Mount Clarence – a green reserve with astonishing views over the city and the harbour.
Serpentine East Road veers off in two directions:
The first will take you through to Watkins Road, just above the Albany High and Primary Schools where the very popular Mount Clarence Walking Trail starts and leads through Albany Heritage Park to the Desert Mounted Corps Memorial and beyond.
The second part of Serpentine East Road is a well-hidden, quiet cul de sac with only 5 properties leading off on the left. Number 23 is the second from the end. This part of Serpentine East Road crosses where Hill Street (town side) changes to Munster Avenue (Mount Clarence side) with Rowley Street on the side.
Everyone knows that a block on Mount Clarence would cost two to three times the price of one in an Albany zoning, so count your blessings that this little treasure is on the border. Vacant land is extremely rare in this area as most have been built out, so this really is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
The block is 505 m2 – and a great rectangular shape. Facing town, the frontage and back are 15.8 m wide, the left-hand boundary 31.7 m and the right 32.2 m. From the road, you have magnificent views over town and towards the harbour, so if that’s what you’re after, please read on.
Looking down towards town there are 3 vacant blocks. Two at the top (21 & 23 Serpentine Road East) and a big one, 12 Finlay Street (1,023 m2) in the middle which has access via a panhandle/battle axe next to the home on 10 Finlay Street. All three are on the market and priced for a quick sale, so feel free to make an offer on all three, two or one. These are prime investment blocks, with no time limit to build.
It’s true that Watercorp has easements for drainage and sewer over the side and bottom of the block, but a wise buyer would most probably build a home near the far boundary (right boundary looking towards town) in order to take advantage of the amazing views. It would be wise to build near the road too, so don’t let the drainage and sewer lines deter you – just consider it a smaller building block with a lovely garden that could add to your privacy and enjoyment. Your views are straight over the side of the home on 10 Finlay Street and down the panhandle road servicing 12 Finlay, so you can’t be blocked out. Being on a slope, you should consider the extra drainage a bonus anyway!
When you’re looking for a good block with views, you need to consider certain factors.
1. Is the shape good for building? Yes – almost rectangular.
2. Can my views be blocked by the vacant block in the middle? No, there are sloping height restrictions on the middle block and you’re on the highest part.
3. Can the owner of the current single storey home on 10 Finlay Street go higher? No. They also have height restrictions that prevent a two storey home.
4. Locals understand that these homes will enjoy beautiful winter sun and are sheltered by Mount Clarence from most of the wind, allowing you precious outdoor enjoyment and lower power bills. The backs are north/north-west facing. (See the N/S arrow on Deposited Plan 60491)
5. Would the owners consider a cheeky price for 1, 2 or all of the blocks? No. When pricing the block/s, we took into consideration that there is a decent fall from the road to where you’d build on the top two blocks, so a bit of earthmoving will have to be done. This is standard procedure when building on a block to get great views.
6. If you’re considering buying 2 or more blocks, of course we’re happy to chat.
Please click on the links below to see what 21 Serpentine Road and 12 Finlay Street have to offer.
Considering the facts above, this block should be at the top of your viewing list. It’s in a very enviable position, rare, affordable and will have guaranteed views over the city and harbour.
All that remains is your decision to buy/or miss out, on this rare opportunity.
What you need to know:
• Brilliant position on the border of town (Albany) and Mount Clarence
• Great building shape
• The block below has height restrictions to ensure you keep the views
• The home on 10 Finlay Street has height restrictions so may not build a two storey home, so all blocks have safeguarded their views.
• There are Watercorp sewer and drainage easements on the property – more of a bonus than a negative
• The owners will consider selling 2 or even all 3 blocks to one buyer
• Brilliant investment blocks as vacant land are very rare in this area
• Easy walking distance to Albany Primary and Albany Senior High Schools – 600 m walk or 1 minutes’ drive, while Albany Primary School is only 550 m away.
• 950 m walk/2 minutes’ drive to Albany Post Office on York Street via Hill and Grey Street East
• 2.5 km/4 minutes’ drive to glorious Middleton Beach
• Walking distance from pubs and entertainment…
• Priced for a quick sale, so don’t delay!
Exclusively with Jess, so please email or contact me on 0410 631 335 for more information.